Facebook Faces Class-Action Lawsuit Over Massive New Tech Hack
* hacker exploited a security flaw in a popular feature of Facebook to steal account credentials of as many as 50 million users.
* a class-action lawsuit has been filed on behalf of one California resident, Carla Echavarria, and one Virginia resident, Derick Walker. “Both allege that Facebook’s lack of proper security has exposed them and additional potential class members to a significantly increased chance of identity theft as a result of the breach,” reports The Verge.
* From the report:The lawsuit was filed today in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The complaint alleges Facebook is guilty of unlawful business practices, deceit by concealment, negligence, and violations of California’s Customer Records Act.
* The plaintiffs want statutory damages and penalties awarded to them and other class members, as well as the providing of credit monitoring services, punitive damages, and the coverage of attorneys’ fees and expenses.
FBI Forced Suspect To Unlock His iPhone X Through Face ID
* In what may be a world first, the FBI has forced a suspect to unlock his iPhone X using Apple’s Face ID feature.
* Agents in Columbus, Ohio entered the home of 28-year-old Grant Michalski, who was suspected of child abuse, according to court documents spotted by Forbes.
* With a search warrant in hand, they forced him to put his face on front of the device to unlock it. They were then able to freely search for his photos, chats and any other potential evidence. The FBI started investigating Michalski after discovering his ad on Craigslist titled “taboo.”
Swiss Chalet, Harvey’s, other big chains hit by ‘malware outbreak’
Recipes Unlimited – owns many large canadian restaurants (1,400 locations; Swiss Chalet, Harveys, Milestones, Montanas, East Side Mario’s…) were hit with malwear on Friday.
* The restuarants cannot accept credit or debit (cash only).
Many restaurants are closed a few have remained open but with limited services.
* Can/will malware cause bigger issues in the future?
Here’s every new Android phone being announced in October — it’s going to be a busy month
Oct 3 – LG V40 THINQ, NYC & Seoul Korea.
Small notch and Boom Box speaker.
Oct 4 – Nokia 7.1 Plus, London
Oct 9 – Google Pixel 3, XL & mystery phone? NYC
Oct 10 – Razer Phone 2, Hollywood
Made for gaming.
Oct 11 – Samsung Mystery Phone
Oct 16 – Huawei Mate 20 & Mate 20 Pro
Water drop notch; In-display fingerprint sensor, triple camera setup.
Oct 17 – OnePlus 6T
Water drop notch, in-display fingerprint sensor, T-Mobile
Google reportedly pays Apple $9 billion per year to stay the default search engine in Safari on iOS
Rod Hall @ Business Insider estimates $9B for 2018 and up to $12B for 2019.
Is this worth it?
Siri already uses Bing when it searches the web.
How would Apple users feel if they get Bing results? Is Google still King?
Some iPhone XS Owners Await Charging Issue Fix in iOS 12
* Some shiny new XS and XS Max phones won’t charge when the screen is off. It only resumes when the screen is tapped awake.
* People have woken up to an uncharged phone after having their phones plugged in all night. This could be bad for people who depend on their phones and don’t have a place to charge.
Some think this could be a simple fix with an IOS update.
Tesla Settles with SEC – Stocks Rebound
Background – Aug 7 Musk tweeted, “Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.” Sent the stock soaring 11%.
SEC claimed the funding was not secured, nor was there any talk with anyone about a $420 price. Claim the 420 was a weed reference to impress his girlfriend.
Tesla Stock then dropped 11% and another 14% last friday.
Tesla settled with SEC.
Fined $20m, two new independent board members, Must to step down as Chairman of the Board but stays on as CEO. Doesn’t have to admit wrong doing.
Stock Prices soared 17% almost wiping out any loss from Friday.
Current stock price is $306.5; stock before tweet was $342. 10% less.
Tesla Reports an Upturn in Production
Tesla produced 80k cars in 3rd quarter (53k of them were Model 3s).
Tesla’s goal was to produce 5k model 3’s a week (4,417).
Tesla uses Brand Loyalty to Deliver Record Number of Model 3’s
Tesla has achieved its goal of manufacturing 5,000 Model 3’s a week.
Now 5th fastest selling vehicle only beat by cheaper Camry, Corolla & Civic
Now in Logistic Delivery Hell
Volunteer Model 3 owners helped deliver and orientate thousands of new Model 3 owners on the Weekend to deliver almost 12k cars (8k model 3s) for quarter end (can only count a sale when the car is in the owners hands).
Free labour on delivery and orientation.
Excitement and advice from a current owner.
Tesla is now manufacturing Semi Trailers to ship the Model 3 as there is a shortage.
Half the World Is Now Middle Class Or Wealthier, Says Brookings Institution
Something of enormous global significance is happening almost without notice. For the first time since agriculture-based civilization began 10,000 years ago, the majority of humankind is no longer poor or vulnerable to falling into poverty. By our calculations, as of this month, just over 50 percent of the world’s population, or some 3.8 billion people, live in households with enough discretionary expenditure to be considered “middle class” or “rich.” About the same number of people are living in households that are poor or vulnerable to poverty. So September 2018 marks a global tipping point. After this, for the first time ever, the poor and vulnerable will no longer be a majority in the world. Barring some unfortunate global economic setback, this marks the start of a new era of a middle-class majority.
Contact us: email@example.com